Mazatlan’s 114th Carnaval Kicks Off This Week
Mazatlan, Mexico – February 15th, 2012. Mazatlan will once again bask in music, dance and color for the most important fiesta of the year. The 114th edition of the Mazatlan International Carnaval takes place from February 16th to the 21st. This year’s theme is Fiesta of the Empires. Mexico’s Colonial City on the Beach will charm hundreds of thousands of people with parades, queens, cultural events, and live music on its streets. Mazatlan’s Carnaval is recognized as the third largest in the world and is included in Forbes Travel Guide as one of the Three Hot Carnival Celebrations to Hit in February.
Though Carnaval is only about to begin, festivities have long been underway. The Queens of Carnaval were elected on February 4th with great fanfare. Karla Álvarez was elected Queen of Carnaval while Astrid Tirado was named Queen of the Floral Games. The election took place at Mazatlan’s famed Angela Peralta theater in Old Mazatlan. The evening’s tone was set by music and dance. The Municipal Center for the Arts Folkloric Ballet pushed away all pretense to the beat of German, French, American, Cuban and Mexican Cabaret.
Highlights of the Mazatlan International Carnaval schedule include:
· Coronation of the King of Joy – Olas Altas.
· Coronation of the Queen of Floral Games – Teodoro Mariscal Stadium.
· Live music and dancing on the streets – Olas Altas.
· Coronation of the Queen of Carnaval – Teodoro Mariscal Stadium.
· Burning of Bad Mood and the Naval Battle Festival of Lights – Olas Altas.
· First Carnaval parade – Fishermen’s monument.
· Coronation of the Child Queen – Teodoro Mariscal Stadium.
· Second Carnaval Parade – Fishermen’s monument.
For further information please visit www.gomazatlan.com or contact Carolina Ibarra: 1-866-836-8797 Ext. 4