Employees participate in activities to sustain and enhance Cozumel Island
Cozumel, Mexico, November 04, 2011 –(PR.com)– Diving deep to clean up debris from the world’s second-largest coral reef, releasing baby loggerhead turtles into the warm Caribbean waters or painting an elementary school is just another day on the job for employees of Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa.
In partnership with National Geographic’s Center for Sustainable Destinations and part of InterContinental Hotels & Resort’s Responsible Business Week, employees of Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa participated in activities to sustain and enhance Cozumel Island so it remains an appealing place to visit for future generations.
Responsible Business Week initiatives carried out by the resort’s team included:
• Coordinated a reef cleanup activity with ScubaDu dive masters in collecting non-recyclable garbage from the bottom of the sea.
• Assisted Cozumel’s Municipal Department of Ecology to clean turtle nest areas and release baby turtles into the warm Caribbean waters.
• Painted nearby Jorge Mexico Elementary School including classrooms, the main entrance and outdoor areas.
• Collected and delivered food, linens and school supplies to “Voces y Manos” Institution, an organization dedicated to the Island’s deaf-mute community.
• Hosted a “Life and Death” photo exhibition explaining the Mexican tradition of Día de los Muertos, a celebration to honor deceased relatives.
“The people of Cozumel take great pride in making this island a paradise for their neighbors and the millions of tourists who support our businesses each year,” said Guillermo Valencia, general manager of the Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa.
Building on the success of last year’s Responsible Business Day, the initiative was extended to a week-long series of events. Also new this year was Pip the Emperor penguin, the mascot which represents the need to protect and preserve local environments.
InterContinental Hotels & Resorts’ Green Engage system helps its hotels deliver these initiatives as well as reduce energy consumption and carbon footprint throughout the rest of the year. The online environment tool helps hotels monitor, reduce and manage energy, water and waste.
To find out more about InterContinental Hotels & Resorts’ Responsible Business initiatives, visit www.InterContinental.com/responsible. For more on IHG’s online sustainability system, Green Engage, visit www.ihgplc.com/greenengage
About Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa
The 220-guestroom Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa, a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, offers breathtaking views of the Caribbean Sea. Set on a half mile of white, sandy beach, surrounded by green vegetation and just steps from the world’s second largest coral reef, resort amenities include three restaurants, Mandara Spa, 24-hour fitness center, tennis, Scuba Du in-house dive shop, and Chiqui Club children’s program. Flexible meeting space, with indoor and outdoor venues, provides the perfect backdrop for conferences, events and weddings. Call toll free from the USA (800) 327-0200 or visit www.InterContinentalCozumel.com.