The 2012 Nick Gallo Award – Entry Guidelines
Nick Gallo, a two-time winner of the Mexico Tourism Board’s prestigious Pluma de Plata award, regular contributor to such prestigious titles as Travel & Leisure, Alaska Airlines Magazine, United Airlines Hemispheres, Private Clubs, Northwest Airlines WorldTraveler, father, husband and all around way cool guy, died in October 2007 while on assignment in Greece. You can read our tribute to el Gallo más gallo here.
This year’s award will be announced online in mid-March, around the time of the 2012 Tianguis Turistico. Traditionally held in the seaside city of Acapulco, this is the first year it has migrated away from the state of Guerrero to the state of Jalisco and the beautiful town of Puerto Vallarta. This event has always represented an opportunity for journalists the world over to get to know Mexico up close and personal—and for those who know it to get together and celebrate the best the country has to offer. Nick loved Tianguis, and those of us who knew him loved hanging out with him and (more than) a couple of stray tequilas. His quiet asides and observations were always on point, and any occasion was made better by his presence.
We miss you, Gallo. This one’s for you.
- The contest is open to all U.S.- and Canada-based freelance writers specializing in Mexico.
- The article must be published in 2011
- Minimum of 500 words and was published in either print media (magazine or newspaper) or an online publication or blog.
- The topic must be related to Mexico’s tourism and/or culture.
Entry deadline: February 29, 2012
Your work will be judged by a panel of professionals from the Mexico tourism industry, including executives from airlines and hotels. The winner will receive:
- One-of-a-kind woodblock print on plexiglass/lucite created by artist Laurie Brown (Nick’s wife)
- Three complimentary nights at the Casa de Mita in beautiful Punta Mita, Nayarit, Mexico, courtesy of Casa de Mita and Mexico Boutique Hotels
More details to follow!
SEND IN YOUR ENTRIES NOW to email@example.com
See you in Puerto Vallarta!